The FMC Expedition Scholarship awards are a highlight of every year, and a signal that summer is on its way. This year FMC is very pleased to be able to support the following people on their outdoor adventures:
- Ivan Andrews (VUWTC) – a Southern Alps crossing from the Rakaia to the West Coast via the Bracken snowfield and Ivory Lake Hut – 11 days, party of 5. This is the first FMC Expedition Scholarship awarded to members of the VUWTC.
- Dulkara Martig (FMC Individual Supporter): an all-women traverse from Arthur’s Pass to Mt Cook – 32 days, party of 4.
- Stacey Hendricks (MUAC): an expedition into Nelson Lakes National Park – 8 days, party of 4. This is the first FMC Expedition Scholarship awarded to members of MUAC.
- Nathan Sturrock (FMC Individual Supporter): an east-west traverse of Upper South Island from the Clarence to the Buller – tramping – climbing – pack-rafting – mountain-biking – 6 days, party of 6.
- Sam West (OUTC): Findlay Glacier – South Westland – 7 days, party of 4. A novel expedition to pay homage to the late John Findlay (Sam’s grandfater). Jet-boating on the Arawhata, finding a way to the Findlay glacier, climbing adjacent peaks and returning to civilisation with packrafts.
- Justin Venables (NZ Canyoning Association): Tuke River (Westland). An ambitious first descent by a tough local team. Will it be mainly kayaking or mainly canyoning with kayaks? – ‘multi day,’ 8 in party – this is the Simon Bell Memorial scholarship award.